Medical institutions are places of healing. Extraordinary things happen in hospitals so extraordinary security systems are needed to protect them from harm and liability. Access control can help minimize these daily security concerns. Here are Five Ways Hospital Security is Uniquely Challenged and Five solutions Hidden in Access Control Systems:
Unique challenges facing Hospitals when it comes to security:
- Accessible to the Public – Hospitals are open for all hours of the day, all week. Hundreds of unknown visitors roam into Hospital lobbies every day. In emergency situations, if a visitor wanders in the way of medical professionals, the consequences may be dire.
- Patient safety concerns – In addition to the need for quarantine to stop diseases spreading, hospitals tend to be rife with drama. Mind altering ailments, parental disputes and power of attorney issues could lead to patients going missing, being harmed or abducted.
- Protection of pharmaceutical drugs and expensive equipment – Hospitals have need for security to protect drugs and equipment from thievery while still allowing staff quick access to save lives.
- Variety of buildings and access levels – A hospital is spread over multiple buildings and departments that each need to be protected. Often some areas will be permissible only to certain staff members, creating levels of access which can be difficult to coordinate.
- Every institution is different – There is no one security system that will encompass the needs of all hospitals in South Africa. Each institution faces their own challenges for which a security system must be uniquely molded.
Benefits of Access Control systems in hospitals:
- Monitoring Visitors – With computer technology that allows for the immediate printing of temporary access badges complete with photographic identification, the movement of visitors can be regulated throughout the hospital.
- (ANPR) Automatic Number Plate Recognition – Hospitals can increase the quality of gate security with automatic number plate recognition that tracks the comings and goings of all vehicles. The attendance of employees can be monitored this way and suspicious or abandoned cars left in the parking lot are highlighted instantly.
- Uniquely integrated systems – Security providers, such as Minerva Technologies, have experience and expertise to integrate many security systems together across the entire hospital property, creating a unique compilation that suits the specific needs of the hospital.
- Fire Roll-Call Software – In the event of a fire, access systems maintain records that can be crucial for firefighters by telling them who exactly is still in the building and even where in the building. An investigation after the fire can also be aided by these records.
- Lockdown – The ability to enforce a lockdown in a hospital or specific department is crucial in modern hospitals and access control systems make this possible with a push of a button.
How can a hospital organize all their security systems together?
Healthcare facilities usually have security on high priority. Technology has had no choice but to keep up with the demands of this market. With new technology coming to the forefront every day, hospital security has evolved as well.
Contact Minerva Technologies to speak to experienced security professionals who can customize access systems and meet the unique needs of any hospital.